Thursday, November 26, 2009

Home made Fruit leathers




Fruit leathers.. Yummy! This takes me back to when I was a little girl and my Mamaw making these for me for snacks. I could never wait till the food dehydrator was finished! One day I was reflecting thinking of things that she used to make all the time foods that I could never forget.. She was a wonderful cook, baker a little of everything she could do it all. I do not have a dehydrator so I found that I could use my oven just the same.. The recipe follows. These are sweet but i will warn you there not those sugar fruity roll ups that you get in the stores there healthy sweet just like dried fruit (I mean its the same thing) you can always add more honey or even a little brown sugar to add more sweetness.

2 cups apple sauce


1 table spoon honey


1 tea spoon cinnamon


non stick spray

Directions
Pre heat your oven to 150. Spray a foil covered cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray.
Then you will want to mix your apple sauce, honey and cinnamon together. Spread in a thin layer over cookie sheet. tap on counter and shake side to side to make even. Don't use a spatula or spoon to spread it makes it bumpy and the fruit will not dry evenly. Place cookie sheet in oven leaving the door open a little bit. Cook for 6 to 8 hrs until dried.


A tip from my kitchen:
I used one jar of apple sauce with cinnamon already in it and I also used 2 table spoons of honey. just a thought. Also the leather (fruit roll up) will dry from the outside to the middle so check the middle to see if its done or not there should not be any moisture to the fruit puree. You can also use other fruits besides apple. Just puree it like apple sauce and add water till its a good consistence. Also if I was you I would double this recipe To make a good siz batch for the kids to take to school for lunch or when hiking for yourself. There simple quick and very good for you.

2 comments:

  1. I love the name of your blog it is so cute! I cannot wait to try out some of these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Girly I need to add the latest ones that I have tried. I dnt have pictures of them though. But oh well.

    ReplyDelete